28 December 2007

Ron Paul: A Postscript

I'd like to thank the people who posted responses to my Ron Paul articles. I apologize for not responding promptly, but we had these holidays around here so I was slightly preoccupied. For now, a couple of comments from outside.

I had to work on Monday, and so did Mr. Peepers, the knee-jerk Democratic janitor who's been at our office for over 40 years. He asked me if I had watched Meet the Press the day before. When I said that I had, he became enthusiastic.

"I wish that Ron Paul would become a Democrat or an independent, because then I'd vote for him," he said.
"But he's a libertarian," I reminded him, "He's against almost everything you're for."
"He wants to close all the bases," Mr. Peepers persisted, "That's the answer. Why do we have bases in all those countries for? Nobody's threatening us. It's just a waste of money."
"But what about the fact that he's a libertarian and wants to get rid of income tax and cut a lot of social programs?"
"Well, I don't know about that, but he's got the right idea to close down the bases."

Most Ron Paul supporters are probably more intelligent people than Mr. Peepers, but I wonder whether many of them support the candidate on similarly narrow grounds, neither caring nor necessarily knowing what he wants to do or not do domestically. I suspect not, because were that the case, he'd probably place higher in the polls.

As for the other opinion, after work I consulted with Crhymethinc at his home. He's on vacation this week and didn't have access to a computer, or else he could give his opinion himself. He may well clarify his position next Monday or later, but I believe I do him justice by recounting that he described Ron Paul as a snake-oil salesman. The rest I leave to him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know much about Ron Paul until "Meet the Press", other than his supporters seem to be armchair libertarians. After watching him squirm on TV, he comes off to me like a snake oil salesman. He's got the cure for whatever ails you, just don't ask him what's in it.